Former U2 tour director Pete Currier said he feared for life once after being lost at sea for 52 days


A former U2 tour director said yesterday that he feared for his life only once before being rescued after 52 days of loneliness at sea.

Exhausted, Pete Currier swapped employment contracts with Prince, UB40 and Nirvana to travel the 6,500km from the Caribbean to Wales – but found himself in dire straits when his engine blew up just three weeks after the start. travel.


Pete Currier pictured in Kinsale, Co. Cork after his yacht Sea Symphony was rescued by RNLI KinsaleCredit: Daragh Mc Sweeney / Provision
Pete was picked up in Kinsale, Co Cork by the RNLI where his children were waiting for him


Pete was picked up in Kinsale, Co Cork by the RNLI where his children were waiting for him
Peter Currier safely welcomed by his family Piers Currier, Cara Tremayne and Shia Tremayne


Peter Currier safely welcomed by his family Piers Currier, Cara Tremayne and Shia TremayneCredit: Facebook / Pete Currier
Pete Currier's Sea Symphony yacht


Pete Currier’s Sea Symphony yachtCredit: Daragh Mc Sweeney / Provision

The 68-year-old was forced to continue the journey from Carriacou Island, Granada, by sail – and used his decades of hard work in rock ‘n’ roll to take him through a gruesome 68 km / h storm.

Relieved, Pete was then picked up in Kinsale, County Cork by the RNLI on Saturday night where his son, Piers Currier, and two daughters, Cara and Shia Tremayne, were waiting for him.

Yesterday he told the Irish Sun: “There was only one time that I feared for my life in a force eight storm because I was worried that the boat would disintegrate in the sea. storm.

“But the Sea Symphony fought and I survived. But I never worried about anything in my life, so the dangers didn’t upset me.

His 51-foot vessel was in Irish waters on Saturday morning, working under damaged sails.

And by the time the alarm was raised to the Irish Coast Guard, the boat was moving at three knots – or 5.5 km – per hour.


Kinsale RNLI volunteers followed the Sea Symphony throughout the day online and became increasingly concerned about its safety.

Her coastal lifeboat, Miss Sally Anne Baggy II – Never Fear, Baggy’s Here, was launched at 6 p.m. to help Pete and they located the yacht off Old Head of Kinsale.

The helm of the Jonathan Connor lifeboat placed crew member Felix Milner aboard Pete’s boat and guided him to the nearest safe harbor.

And Felix remained on the Sea Symphony for the final leg of the trip to Kinsale harbor to care for the music veteran, who was exhausted but unharmed.

After arriving in Kinsale at 9:15 p.m., Pete was able to clean up with his first hot shower in seven weeks before a family reunion with his three children, who live in West Cork.

Grateful Pete said, “Kinsale RNLI volunteers are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Their expertise and commitment leave me humbled.

“It is an institution that I have always supported and that I will support until the end of my days.”

And he said about his lifeguards: “They took me to the lifeboat station for a hot shower, repeatedly told me what a lovely boat was and even offered to bring my laundry home. and wash it for me. “


Pete, a live events production manager, worked with U2 on their world tour until he was involved in an accident when the sound equipment overturned and injured him.

This made him unable to work and he was on crutches for about nine months, causing damage to his back.

So Pete returned to the UK to spend time with his mother, who sadly passed away in May 2019.

He used the “little money” he inherited to purchase the Sea Symphony in January 2020, which he hoped could be his new home and give him a new start in life.

He said: “It’s a beautiful boat and deserves to sail again, so I bought it and spent all my time rebuilding and repairing it.”


During the pandemic, Pete spent a year with one of his daughters in Cork and was delighted to be able to spend time with his other children.

He said: “I was unable to return to Granada because only two days before my return the country closed its doors.

“My daughter said ‘come hang out with me’ – and I was so glad I hadn’t spent time with her since she was a teenager.”

The family moved to Ireland in 1991 because his wife, from whom he is divorced, wanted to raise the children in his mother’s homeland.

Pete said: “All the kids were born in the UK but their mom wanted to move to Ireland and I was shooting almost non-stop so that made sense.”

As soon as the flights to Granada opened, he returned to the sunny island and his boat, which can accommodate eight people.

Pete said people said he was crazy spending so much time and effort on the yacht.


But the Birmingham native added: “You are taking your chance in life and it is worth it.”

He spent over a year trying to save the Sea Symphony, which was left to rot after being brought to Grenada in 2017. A termite invasion ate one of the masts and much of the interior.

But after resetting it, Pete was planning to bring it back to Britain.

He explained, “With all the changes that Covid-19 has made, it’s a whole new world. I was hoping to sail south and cross the South Atlantic to the UK as most of my belongings are still there. “

After a short stopover in Kinsale, he planned to go to Wales, southern France and then India where he organized a working concert. However, the Indian event was postponed again indefinitely due to Covid.


He now needs to repair five of the six sails on board as well as the engine and winches before he can sail from Cork City to the UK.

Speaking after the rescue, Jonathan Connor, Kinsale RNLI coxswain, said:

“He’s very fit and capable, but was clearly exhausted after 52 days alone at sea.
“We were happy to help him clear the final hurdle and get him safe and sound to Kinsale.”


Meanwhile, Pete recounted his time with U2, revealing that his favorite member of the band was The Edge who was a “gentleman and a nice guy”.

He added: “I have worked most of my life with bands, designing and managing lighting for many bands and festivals, including the Glastonbury Main Stage, the Pop Rock Festival and many more. I’ve done a lot of festivals over the years and toured with famous bands.

When he left U2, he worked on a tour with Michael Jackson. But today, Pete chooses what he wants to do.

Speaking of the good old days of working with bands and at concerts, he said: “When I was young it was a good laugh.

“It started to fade in the 80s and in the 90s it became a business. You were basically friends with people in the 60s until the 90s, when it was like family.

“In the 90s, you were just a face and people didn’t want to know each other anymore. It was quite pathetic.

He added, “I do a lot of holograms these days.

“I love technology, I love it. Technology is finally catching up to my imagination.

“I always try to push the limits with stuff, which is so exciting.”

Pete created a Gofundme page to help the Sea Symphony regain its former glory and “sail the oceans of the world again”.

He tells potential donors: “For me, it’s a work of art and I have the privilege of working on its renovation.

After his dramatic rescue, he plans to donate ten percent of the donations to the RNLI. See

Pete revealed his favorite U2 member was The Edge when discussing his time with the group


Pete revealed his favorite U2 member was The Edge when discussing his time with the groupCredit: Jeffrey Mayre / Alamy
Pete was the former tour director of U2


Pete was the former tour director of U2Credit: Getty – Contributor

Comments are closed.